Login to start a new topic
Answered

Unable to capture request

Hello,

Fiddler cannot run correctly on my mac. After I opened fiddler, I opened chrome to access the URL and it was not captured. My mac version is macOS Catalina10.15.7. I have closed other proxy applications before opening fiddler. But fiddler still cannot run correctly. 

Please help.

Best Answer

Hey  523410611 ,

This sounds like the reason why FE won't set the proxy - it lacks the administrative privileges. We logged this one as a bug, but meanwhile, you should be able to temporarily resolve the issue by doing the following on your side.

1. Go to “System Preferences” > “Security & Privacy”
  2. Click the lock to make changes.
  3. Click on "Advanced…"
  4. Uncheck "Require an administrator password to access system-wide preferences."

(video reference)

Then, restart FE and enable the capturing.

As an alternative solution, you could manually set the FE proxy before starting to capture the requests. Use 127.0.0.1 for IP and  8866 for port (these are the defaults in FE).

2 people have this question

I'm face the same issue now , did you solved this problem yet? @523410611

@Ihsan - We are still trying to reproduce the issue that @523410611 is facing. If you have the time, could you please share the output from the troubleshooting guide posted here and the log files (see how to obtain them here).

Hello 

have the same issue

I am unable to capture the request 
I have followed the instruction and checked network settings

here is the screenshot before launching fiddler https://monosnap.com/file/rsY61EnP3ptX5pjD4E2aIfDN4TXb91

here is after launching fiddler

https://monosnap.com/file/fLxck9QYV6oY40uYlKbavhGbncXEyX

terminal screenshot https://monosnap.com/file/WGFGdMAIxJQ3kxnUYsK8QRpcNNlvnC

they are the same

root certificate is trusted https://monosnap.com/file/9XvmaWGEV0RAbtoSGkpHcc7YKWqYE6

Hey everyone,

We just found out a possible reason which might cause the Fiddler Everywhere client to fail on startup. Here are the steps to check on your side:

- Open your preferred terminal app and start a bash shell.

- Observe if any console lines are printed. In the default setup, there are no lines outputted when bash starts up.

If there are any custom lines while your bash is starting, you need to remove them. For example, check your .bashrc file for any code that adds echo output and remove them. More about the bash startup files here.

The default interactive shell is now zsh.

To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.

For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

bash-3.2$ 

bash-3.2$ 

bash-3.2$ zsh

Ihsan.gaozp could you try adding the following line in your .bashrc file (and then retrying the Fiddler Everywhere startup)

export BASH_SILENCE_DEPRECATION_WARNING=1

@Nick Iliev  but I'm using zsh as default terminal.

Hey guys,

To further investigate the case, you will need to install a custom Fiddler Everywhere build which will generate more verbose log files. If you have time please do the following:

1.Open this URL (NOTE: it is a new build) and download the .dmg file. Please note that in some cases Sharepoint does not show the actual file the first time when the URL is opened. If that happens on your side, please try opening it again and you should see the file.

2. Install the downloaded .dmg file. This is a special version prepared for this case - 1.1.0-ticket11326. You'll probably be asked to replace the existing application, you can select to do it.
3. Delete the ~/.fiddler directory.
4. Delete ~/Library/Application\ Support/Fiddler\ Everywhere directory
5. In Finder open the Applications directory.
6. Find the just installed version of Fiddler Everywhere and double-click it.
7. In the opened screen you should be asked to sign up, but there will be a button to sign in. Please use it and try to sign in with your credentials.
8. Wait a couple of minutes, for example 2-3. If the application is still in the loading screen, please close it.
9. Get the logs from ~/Library/Application\ Support/Fiddler\ Everywhere/Logs directory and send them to us for investigation.
10. Download the latest official version of the application from here.
11. Install the latest official version. This way you'll not be stuck with this custom version (as mentioned earlier this is a custom version without auto-update functionality in it).

Thanks a lot for your cooperation in the investigation of this issue.

Hey everyone,

We've prepared a new custom build for you, with the following changes applied in it:
1. Added more logs in several places to be sure which is the part of the code that hangs.
2. Added timeout of execution for the step that we think hangs. The timeout is set to 30 seconds. If it is reached, the operation will be canceled and the other operations should continue, i.e. you should be able to sign in.
3. Added a new log file for one of the packages that we think hangs.

So, can you please follow the steps below:

1.Open this URL (NOTE: it is a new build) and download the .dmg file. Please note that in some cases Sharepoint does not show the actual file the first time when the URL is opened. If that happens on your side, please try opening it again and you should see the file.

2. Install the downloaded .dmg file. This is a special version prepared for this case - 1.1.0-ticket11326. You'll probably be asked to replace the existing application, you can select to do it.
3. Delete the ~/.fiddler directory.
4. Delete ~/Library/Application\ Support/Fiddler\ Everywhere directory
5. In Finder open the Applications directory.
6. Find the just installed version of Fiddler Everywhere and double-click it.
7. In the opened screen you should be asked to sign up, but there will be a button to sign in. Please use it and try to sign in with your credentials.
8. Wait a couple of minutes, for example 2-3. If the application is still in the loading screen, please close it. If the application loads, please try to disable/enable capturing and see if it changes something.
9. Get the logs from ~/Library/Application\ Support/Fiddler\ Everywhere/Logs directory and send them to us for investigation. NOTE: There will be at least three files there, we'll need all of them.
10. Stop the application.
11. Delete the ~/.fiddler directory.
12. Delete ~/Library/Application\ Support/Fiddler\ Everywhere directory
13. Try to run it from a terminal, i.e. execute:
$ open /Applications/Fiddler\ Everywhere.app/
14. In the opened screen you should be asked to sign up, but there will be a button to sign in. Please use it and try to sign in with your credentials.
15. Wait a couple of minutes, for example 2-3. If the application is still in the loading screen, please close it. If the application loads, please try to disable/enable capturing and see if it changes something.
16. Get the logs from ~/Library/Application\ Support/Fiddler\ Everywhere/Logs directory and send them to us for investigation. NOTE: There will be at least three files there, we'll need all of them.
17. Download the latest official version of the application from here.
18. Install the latest official version. This way you'll not be stuck with this custom version (as mentioned earlier this is a custom version without auto-update functionality in it).

Thank you all in advance for your cooperation!

Hello Everyone,

I am posting an updated link to the latest custom build. Notice that this build should be used only for troubleshooting the discussed issue while following the steps described above.

Link to the custom build

Among the three customized versions you provided, the first version outputs only two logs, so I did not attach log files. The second link reminds me that I have no permission to access. After the third link is opened, the page cannot be found. Please provide the download link again.

Hey  523410611 ,

Thank you for bringing that to my attention! The link failure was entirely my fault - it looks like SharePoint links are modified once opened, and I was accidentally pasting the modified links (instead of the original one). I've just updated the share links, but for consistency, here is the unmodified link once again:

https://progresssoftware-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/tachev_progress_com/EXF34kXaaFlNo7VkmZ8q51YBO2Wuw2q4ZEoTE2Zpt4pGgg?e=rbhxtV

The problem doesn't seem to be related to the version of the computer system, because I recently upgraded my MAC to the latest Version of Big Sur 11.1, and I downloaded the latest FE again and it still doesn't work. So I follow the custom version provided by @Nick Iliev and follow the test steps to get the run log. I compressed the logs that I got both times.My current Mac version is Big Sur11.1, and the custom version of Fe also runs on this system.I hope these logs can help you.

zip
(10.3 KB)
zip
(9.04 KB)

The extended logs look like the issue is that the proxy is not sec successfully after running the networksetup commands. Could you please try the commands manually one by one and let us know if each command is working as expected. 

networksetup -setproxyautodiscovery "Wi-Fi" off
networksetup -setautoproxyurl "Wi-Fi" '(null)'
networksetup -setautoproxystate "Wi-Fi" off
networksetup -setwebproxy "Wi-Fi" '127.0.0.1' 8866 off
networksetup -setwebproxystate "Wi-Fi" on
networksetup -setsecurewebproxy "Wi-Fi" '127.0.0.1' 8866 off
networksetup -setsecurewebproxystate "Wi-Fi" on
networksetup -setftpproxy "Wi-Fi" '' 0 off
networksetup -setftpproxystate "Wi-Fi" off
networksetup -setsocksfirewallproxy "Wi-Fi" '' 0 off
networksetup -setsocksfirewallproxystate "Wi-Fi" off
networksetup -setproxybypassdomains "Wi-Fi" Empty

After each command, you should be able to observe an error (in the terminal), or the command should apply the changes in your active connection named "Wi-Fi" under the Proxy tab. 

Merry Christmas.

Should I try the command with the custom version of Fe or the latest version of Fe?

Login to start a new topic